Is Solid Surface the Right Material For You?
Solid surface was a patented material designed by Dupont in the late 60’s and was titled Corian.
Its popularity grew as it was a hard and dense material made from a mix of resin with fillers, color pigments, and catalysts. This mixture is poured into molds and can be easily fabricated into several colors and designs often mimicking stone to suit the needs of any consumer. Photo by Cat Han on Unsplash
This material is incredibly versatile, it is not uncommon to see inlaid sinks, cutting boards and drain boards designed to match the countertops in many kitchens making it a great designer’s choice, one that can adapt to any space.
It can be shaped with basic wood working tools and when pre-fabricated can come with a wide variety of custom edge finishing’s from, rounded, beveled, square or even with brass or metal inlays.
Solid surface kitchen countertops are available in ½” or ¾” pieces and can be equipped with back splashes or without.
However, like all materials, solid surface has its pros and cons as well.
Pros of Solid Surface Kitchen Countertops
- Affordability – This material was designed to compete with the popularity of stone but it comes at a more affordable price.
- Durability – While it is not as durable as granite or quartz, solid surface is a non-porous material and is highly stain resistant.
- Design – Solid surface offers plenty of design choices to suit any space and style
- Seamless – Solid surface can be made to form your exact dimensions. This can include a built in sink and backsplash as well for a perfectly seamless look. Something not possible with stone.
- Non-porous – Solid surface is a non-porous material that does not require sealing.
Cons of Solid Surface Countertops
- Durability – While this material was invented to compete with stone, it is not as strong. If you choose to install this material, you will need to protect it from heat. It is recommended to use trivets under hot pans and even functioning appliances that give off heat. This countertop material will scratch as well.